The cost of volunteering is significant, and for many, it may seem prohibitive at first. We do our best to keep expenses low while still making sure that our Ghanaian partners are fairly paid for food and other resources they provide. For volunteers staying in excess of six months we do not require a program fee. After 3 months of successful service a stipend will be provided to cover in-country expenses.
For those seeking to raise money to fund their trip, we will be happy to assist. Donations made by volunteers, or others on their behalf, to Pagus, are tax deductible (always check with a tax professional). Below are the related costs:
- Program Fee $275 *
- Accommodations for Volunteers staying less than 3 months: $50/week.
- Accommodations are free for volunteers staying more than 3 months.
- Cost of food and in-country transport range from $5-20/day depending on specific tastes and dietary needs.
- Return transport from placement site to airport ($20-100 depending on if by public transport or private taxi)
- RT Airfare
- Travel /Emergency Evacuation Insurance
- Visit to Travel Medicine Clinic / Vaccinations
- Accommodations for your last night in Ghana (Accra) if early morning flight
*The Program Fee covers costs both directly and indirectly relating to your visit. Direct costs this fee covers include:
Pre-trip Guidance and Support (orientation, handbook, etc.), assistance with visa process, arrangements for transport and accommodations, letters of reference, etc.
Please note: This is a non-refundable fee.
** Payment for Trip Fee is due 6 weeks prior to travel. If specific arrangements have not been determined the fee will be predicated on $50/week.