- Assist and Support Students: who may be struggling academically and/or socially
- Work with Students: to give them effective tools to manage common problems and complaints, peer mediation, etc.
- Facilitate Girls’ Groups: to address issues such as teen pregnancy
Desired Outcome: Students will have new tools to be more successful in navigating the problems they face. The volunteer will provide recommendations for continued avenues of support for individual students.
- Experience: or training in counseling
- Ability: or experience in working with other cultures, especially W. Africa
- Leadership Skills: ability to work with, inspire and empower community
- Organizational Skills: ability to gather and transcribe information from interviews and help develop and implement ideas
- Listening skills. although English is widely spoken, understanding is not only found in the words spoken, but rather through the underlying meaning
- Sensitivity: to cultural differences must be acquired
- Experience and Knowledge: of W. African culture and education system is a plus
- Other Attributes: include the ability to be a good detective and probe gently. Candidate will need to look at what is said and what is not said. Be patient yet results oriented – not easily side-tracked
- Interested: in learning and teaching
Accommodations: Housing is provided. Simple rooms with electricity and fans are the norm. Please discuss any special requirements/requests so we can see how to best make you comfortable.
Terms of commitment: We are looking for volunteers who can commit 3 – 6 months.