Check with your airline to see the maximum baggage you are permitted to carry. Delta, at the time of this writing, allows 2 bags 50 lbs each and 1 carry-on of 35 lbs. We request that you dedicate one of your large bags to carry supplies/donations including items that you may need in your work there. Volunteers are asked to help each other gather and carry supplies. Below are ideas of what to take along. These are only suggestions and are based on experience and feedback from prior volunteers.
- Basics: underwear, socks, etc.
- Skirts @ knee length or longer
- Shorts (not too short) and or light-weight pants
- Tops – sleeveless is OK, light sweater or long sleeve shirt
- something nice for church or meetings
- Sturdy sandals or sneakers that are easy to clean.
- Slippers or extra flip flops
- Hat and bandanna
- Rain jacket/poncho
Toiletries and First Aid:
- Bug Spray (20-30% DEET)
- Sun Screen (min 30 spf )
- Antibacterial Ointment
- Shampoo and conditioner
- Body/All purpose Wash (Dr. Bronners)
- Toothpaste/Toothbrush/dental floss
- Razor and shaving cream
- Antibacterial Wipes
- Body and Face Wipes
- Pads/Tampons (as needed; bring enough!)
- Mini Toilet Paper Roll
- Compact mirror, as most bathrooms have no mirrors.
Medications and Remedies
- Anti-Malarial Meds
- Pain Relievers
- Anti-Diarrhea Pills (Imodium and cipro)
- Benadryl or Claritin
- Tums or Other Antacid
- eye drops (it can be dusty!)
- antibiotic Z pack (as your doctor recommends)
- Vitamins, EmergenC, probiotics (so you keep your system strong against parasites.)
rescue remedy, etc.
- Grapefruit-seed Extract is highly recommended for many uses. Nutribiotic liquid is available at health food stores and online.
- Homeopathic remedy: Cinchona Officinalis 30c (for stomach and also anti-malaria)
- Homeopathic remedy: Lycopodium Clavatum
- carry written prescriptions along with any other medication you may be taking
- GSM smart phones are very handy to have. Make sure to get yours unlocked.
- Towels and bedding (we like sleep sacks)
- Pen/notebook /journal
- Camera/memory card/extra battery
- video camera
- Recording Device/Mic
- Flash drive
- Batteries/Power Banks
- headlamp or flashlight (for frequent blackouts)