Provide attention in small groups or on a one-to-one basis to fit individual student needs…
Description of Position:
- Work with students in small groups to improve literacy and numeracy using phonics, manipulatives, and other effective teaching methods, to match the student’s learning style.
- Incorporate creative activities and other disciplines like science experiments, arts and crafts projects, sports and games, etc.
- Benchmark student progress to demonstrate the effectiveness of these teaching methods.
- Work cooperatively with teachers to demonstrate and encourage positive teaching methods.
- Work with students and staff to keep the library in good order and handle books kindly.
- Interface with sponsored children boarding at Bishop Forson School in Kpando and assist any that are at-risk due to behavior, learning or health issues.
- Submit weekly reports via email on work accomplished, overall experience, and observations and submit
Qualifications/ Desired Traits: We are looking for self-starting, highly-motivated, and reliable individuals who love kids. Creative thinking and problem solving skills are especially useful. Good communication skills are essential to work in this community, for reporting purposes to the Executive Director, and to get the most out of this experience.
Teaching/tutoring experience and classroom experience is desirable but not required.
Accommodations: Various options are available including a home stay. Volunteers are made very welcome and are well looked after throughout their visit. Please discuss any special requirements/requests/concerns so we can see how to best make you comfortable.
Duration: Length of commitment for this position is very flexible. 3 months or more to coincide with school term/programming is preferred.
Fill out a volunteer application or call 610-299-3373 to learn more today!